My Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

My Father's Day Gift

Take a look at the gift David gave me for Father's Day:



Not only was this my gift, but he made this beautiful pen himself!  And I don't mean just slapped it together - he picked out the wood, turned it on the lathe, finished it and assembled it - all handcrafted by him.  It's made out of some kind of exotic wood, and he picked it because it has a greenish tint to the wood, which he knows is my favorite color.  And since I work with wood, it couldn't be more fitting for me.  The pen writes nice and smooth, and feels great when using it.  This was a fantastic gift, and I'm very proud of it and thankful for it.  Thanks again David, for such a wonderful surprise!

He also made one for Cheryl for Mother's day, and here's a pic of that one:


This one was another type of exotic wood, and the color of the wood that you see here is the actual color of the wood - no staining involved.  It's a dark brown from what he told me when you first cut it, but you let it age for a few weeks and it turns a rich purple color.  And when you consider the amount of intricacy used to create something like these from wood, not only in shaping the outside but also having a hollow inside and the slimness of the pens, it's really really impressive!  Great job!!

2 comments:

  1. not so graybeardJune 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM

    looks pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Chuckle chuckle) Not so graybeard - that's a good one. Wonder who that could be... Glad you stopped by - I've been hoping you would. Have you seen FC lately? Perhaps you should pay a quick visit there... (chuckle chuckle)

    ReplyDelete